Münchner Platz Dresden Memorial
Among Saxony's memorials, Münchner Platz Dresden, is one of the sites with a double history. The memorial examines politicised criminal justice and its victims in the building complex on Münchner Platz during the National Socialist dictatorship, the Soviet occupation and the early years of the German Democratic Republic. From 1907 when it was opened as the Royal Saxon Regional Court until late 1956 when the East German judiciary carried out the last death sentence, the building at Münchner Platz was used as a courthouse, jail and execution site. In its research and educational work, the memorial also examines judicial abuses that occurred at other locations within the city of Dresden. These include the Dresden State Supreme Court on Pillnitzer Strasse and the adjoining pretrial confinement facility at Mathildenstrasse 59. Nicknamed 'Mathilde', this jail was a branch of the main facility adjoining the Dresden Regional Court at George-Bähr-Strasse 7.
The history of the memorial itself has since become a focus of the memorial's work in its own right.